We surveyed our patrons and staff to see what books stood out as their best reads in 2022 and why. Then we put them on display! Looking for your next read? Start here with some listed below or peruse the display in person near our main floor service desk.
- The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, by Kim Michele Richardson - "Strong female protagonist with a multilayered story"
- A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan - "A whole chapter written in a PowerPoint format? It shouldn't work, but it was one of the most impactful chapters in the entire novel."
- Book Lovers, by Emily Henry - "The banter was top-tier stuff! I actually threw my head back and laughed several times."
- Greenwich Park, by Katherine Faulkner - "This hit the mark on exactly what I like in a thriller; it was so twisty until the very last page."
- Written in Bone: Hidden Stories in What We Leave Behind, by Sue Black - "A forensic anthropologist deconstructs how the human skeleton gives clues to lives lived and deaths endured for each person. Fascinating!"
- These Precious Days, by Ann Patchett - "I felt that I developed a friendship with the author as I read this book."
- Our Missing Hearts, by Celeste Ng - "This beautifully written story about a mother’s love for her child is also a chilling dystopian tale. And it involves libraries, how perfect!"
- The Book of Eels, by Patrik Svensson - "I learned so much about eels, including their enduring mysteriousness. Where do they come from? How do they get all over the world? Who likes to eat them? It's hard to explain how and why this book is so delightful!"
And don't forget about our reading challenges to keep your reading motivation moving!
Winter Reading (for all ages!) takes place January 23–February 28. The goal is to read a little bit every day. If you read for at least twenty days, you will earn a completion prize, and there are virtual tickets to enter into drawings along the way.
The monthly Adult Reading Challenge also continues in 2023, with a new theme for each month. Readers will earn a sticker and entry into a gift card drawing from a local business for each month they complete. Anyone who finishes at least nine months will be entered in the grand prize drawing.
Sign up for either challenge (or both!) on Beanstack, or stop by the front desk.