Summer 2021 - Reading Colors Your World!
Summer Reading begins on June 1
- The goal is simple: read every day. You can read anything, from magazines to books to cereal boxes! Read books that you check out from the library, borrow from a friend, buy from the bookstore - anywhere you get books from counts! The library also offers a large selection of digital materials on our website, including Overdrive, eRead Illinois (using the Axis 360 app), and Hoopla. Exercising those reading muscles through the summer months will help kids stay ready for school in the fall!
- This challenge is for all ages! We want to reward you for reading every day.
- Track your progress online using Beanstack. You can use their site, or download the app for your mobile device. Track multiple family members using one login!. You can print or pick up a fun activity booklet that you can also use to track your reading for the summer. You'll have to log in Beanstack too if you want to enter the ticket prize drawings. You can use this calendar to keep track of the days you read and see all of the fun activities we have planned for you this summer!
- Earn tickets for prize drawings! You’ll earn tickets for both reading and completing activities, which you can use to enter prize drawings for gift cards to some of Bloomington-Normal’s most popular local businesses. The more days you read, the more tickets you earn!
- Complete activity challenges for extra tickets. You’ll find lots of activity challenges that encourage readers to create, explore, connect, and play. Each activity challenge offers options for all ages and reading abilities!
- Read each day for six weeks or more and earn a completion prize! Days read can be consecutive, but don't have to be. Reading counts from June 1 through July 31. Completion prizes available while supplies last.
- Check our calendar for details on events and stay tuned for more more updates!
Track Your Reading with Beanstack
Beanstack is our website and app for reading tracking and reading programs and challenges.
You can create an account in Beanstack anytime and use it to keep track of your reading. When a reading challenge becomes available for you, keep tracking your reading and it will count for your challenge!
Use Beanstack on any computer or find the Beanstack Tracker app on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. If you have already created an account on Beanstack online you can use that. New readers will need to register.
If your child is already signed up for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten then you have a Beanstack login!
Your email address
Once you login, you may change it to something more personal.
Members of a family can all be on the same account, just change readers using the top-left menu (on both the website and app).
Use Beanstack anytime! Keep track of your reading year-round and join our challenges when they are available.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is an education initiative with three main goals: to promote early childhood literacy, to prepare young children for kindergarten and to facilitate family bonding through reading.
Parents and caregivers may register any child between the ages of 0–6. Any book may be counted and books may be repeated. Repetition is even encouraged as it increases both comprehension and confidence in young children. Keep track on your paper log or in Beanstack. Prizes can be selected by filling out this form. Library staff will contact parents when prizes are ready for pick up using the library's Curb It service.
All children who have not entered kindergarten or the equivalent are eligible to register. Participants are not required to be Normal Public Library cardholders or residents of Normal. Participants are welcome to register for this program even if they are completing other area 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten programs.