Normal Public Library | Photography and Video Recording Policy
As a public library, our top priority is providing library services to the community. We have the right to impose certain time, place, or manner restrictions for safety reasons and for continuous library operations. The policy below applies to gatherings not covered under the Open Meetings Act.
Visitors may take casual photographs or video recordings in the library. The uses of additional equipment – such as tripods or lighting – are not permitted because of safety, liability and other issues, unless previously authorized by library leadership. Library staff may stop any photography or video recording that appears to interfere with the library’s ability to conduct business, or that compromises public safety or security.
Photographers and videographers must observe the following:
- Refrain from disturbing other library users (examples: tripods, flash photography).
- Be respectful of families and children.
- Refrain from taking photos/video of specific, copyrighted (or otherwise protected) materials for the purpose of redistribution.
- Refrain from taking photos/video in non-public areas (restrooms or staff only areas) unless given consent by staff to do so.
- Members of the media should check in with the library’s communication specialist or administrative staff prior to or upon entering the library to alert staff of the intent to photograph or video inside the library; when possible, facility staff will be notified in advance to avoid potential interruption.
Please note that Normal Public Library often engages in photographing and recording programs and events for our own publicity and promotional purposes. Attendance at library sponsored events constitutes the consent of all attendees, and the consent of parents or legal guardians of minor children in attendance, to the future broadcast, publication or other use of photographs or videos at the sole discretion of Normal Public Library. Library staff will make every effort to notify members of the public when photography and video recording is taking place, and any patrons who do not want to be photographed or recorded will be respected. Signage indicating our use of photography and video recording will be maintained at each entrance.
Approved by the Board of Trustees of Normal Public Library on February 28, 2018.